Golf cart safety is an important consideration for anyone who operates or rides in a golf cart. While golf carts are convenient and fun to use, they can also be dangerous if not used safely. Here are some key tips for golf cart safety:
- Follow manufacturer guidelines: Always read and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for operating and maintaining the golf cart. This includes weight limits, passenger capacity, and speed limits.
- Wear seat belts: If the golf cart is equipped with seat belts, make sure to wear them at all times. Seat belts can help prevent ejections and serious injuries in case of a collision or sudden stop.
- Drive at a safe speed: Golf carts are not meant for high speeds. Always drive at a safe and appropriate speed for the terrain, conditions, and surroundings. Avoid sharp turns or sudden maneuvers that may cause the cart to tip over.
- Keep hands and feet inside: Do not hang hands, arms, or feet outside the golf cart while it is in motion. Keep all body parts inside the cart to avoid injuries from contact with obstacles or other vehicles.
- Be aware of surroundings: Always be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution. Look out for pedestrians, other golf carts, and vehicles. Be mindful of blind spots and use caution when reversing.
- Do not overload the cart: Adhere to the manufacturer’s recommended passenger and weight capacity for the golf cart. Overloading the cart can cause it to become unstable and tip over.
- Avoid distractions: Do not use electronic devices or engage in distracting activities while driving a golf cart. Keep your focus on the road and surroundings at all times.
- Use caution on slopes: Use caution when driving on slopes or inclines. Drive straight up or down slopes and avoid turning or braking abruptly, as it can cause the golf cart to tip over.
- Do not drink and drive: Just like operating any other vehicle, it is important to never drink and drive a golf cart. Alcohol impairs judgment, reaction time, and coordination, which can lead to accidents.
- Maintain the golf cart: Regularly inspect and maintain the golf cart according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. This includes checking the brakes, tires, lights, and other safety features to ensure they are in good working condition.
Remember, golf cart safety is everyone’s responsibility, whether you are a driver or a passenger. By following these guidelines and using common sense, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience while using a golf cart.
Below is a link to the City of St. Charles golf cart ordinance. Remember, the operator of a golf cart shall observe all State of Missouri and City traffic laws and rules of the road.
Please help us keep New Town and all residents safe!